In 1928, Philip H. “Phil” Swartley, founded “Lansdale Sports and Electric”, a small business on Main Street, in Lansdale, PA that not only sold sporting goods and appliances but did electrical installations in customers’ homes and farms as well. Phil’s two significantly younger brothers, Robert W. “Bud” Swartley and Lloyd W. “Dut” Swartley, started learning the business when they worked for the company during their high school years, in the late 30’s and early 40’s.
After their service during WWII, both Bud and Dut received their Electrical Engineering degrees and started working full time. In 1951, the company created two divisions and was renamed: Swartley’s Inc. was the name given to the retail store that Dut managed and Swartley Bros. Engineers, Inc. was the name given to the electrical construction division that Bud managed.
As both businesses grew, there became a need to find a larger location so in 1955, 837 West Third St., was purchased from North Penn Transfer. This location not only served as a warehouse for Swartley’s Inc. but also became the home for Swartley Bros. Engineers, Inc. During the late 50’s and early 60s, Bud started to expand the business to include Commercial and Industrial customers. This growth was possible with the support from Glenn Bauman, who started in 1963 and eventually become a minority shareholder. While this time brought success and growth for the businesses it also unfortunately brought sadness with the unexpected passing of Phil in 1968. Bud, Dut, and Glenn continued Phil’s legacy throughout the next few of decades.
Not only was the business growing and continuing to be successful, the 2nd generation was coming into the company. Robert H. “Bob” Swartley, Bud’s only son, started working part-time during high school and college. After earning his Electrical Engineering degree in 1980, he started working full-time in the family business.
Following Dut’s retirement in 1986, the decision was made to close Swartley, Inc. and put all the resources into Swartley Bros. Engineers, Inc. After many years of working alongside his Father and Glenn, Bob officially took over the company in 1996. After Glenn’s retirement in 2008, Todd Moyer was promoted to Vice President and became a minority shareholder.
Since 1980, Swartley Bros. Engineers, Inc. continued to experience steady growth, change, and diversity. In 1984 we expanded into the Cellular market and in 1992 we expanded into the Data Com/ Fiber Optic market. With all of this growth, we had outgrown our location again, so in 2010, we purchased our present location, 10 Schoolhouse Road in Souderton PA. This facility gave us the opportunity to continue to grow and be prosperous.
Soon after moving into our Souderton facility we expanded our business once again to include Cell Tower services. All of this success and growth is due in large part to the dedication and commitment from past owners, Bud Swartley and Glenn Bauman and with current owners, Bob Swartley and Todd Moyer, as well as the many employees past and present that have worked to give Swartley’s a respected name in the electrical industry.
Today, Swartley Bros. Engineers, Inc. employs knowledgeable and talented individuals, which includes some of the 3rd generation of Swartley’s. We have four successful divisions; Commercial/ Industrial, Data Com/ Fiber Optics, Wireless and Tower Services, Managed by three outstanding Senior Project Managers. We are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland to serve our many customers throughout this region with the same family values that Phil implemented close to 90 years ago.